Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Behind closed doors in the Middle East.

Howdy, ya'll. My first post after returning to the states ages ago was funny to me. If you have any thoughts, let me know. It was certainly an eye-opening experience, and I'm happy to report that I made it out alive! and with my kids. A sarcastic joke. When one of my friends or family asks what kind of life I lived in United Arab Emirates, I say a good one. But, they're really asking, what goes on behind closed doors in a Muslim/Arab/cultured family. I immediately say, I never wore a wear my scarf inside, I lived a normal life, I didn't live in a tent. I was treated good: I acted silly, I talked on the phone to my best girl friends, danced in the kitchen while cooking, sang in the shower, watched tv, had a lot of dinner parties, went to my friends' homes, shopped until my little feet couldn't stand anymore, went out to eat with my girl friends and. ready for this? I even drove my very own SUV. I didn't ride on a camel. I did all that. I wasn't beaten or talked to badly and my in laws didn't just pop up when they wanted. We had our own villa. Everyone respected everyone there. So, yeah none of that bad stuff y'all think happened, happened. Or that y'all see on TV. I was a lot more social there than I am here in the states. Meaning, we always had to be somewhere or had guest. Be it, weddings all the time or at family events. The family life here in the States is a lot different than over there. Weekends here in the States are more quiet than the weekends there. I think everything in general is more quiet here and not such a fast pace. Having been back in the States for a while now, I've gotten over the culture shock. But I still get a jolt of surprise when I hear people say "y'all" and "fixin' to"! I hadn't seen my childhood best friends' older sister in so many years until they came over last night. In response, she laughed and asked, "How'd it go?" I answered her and we discussed the differences. I find it amazing how people assume that just because you're married to an Arab, you'll be treated poorly. Compared to the Middle East, I've witnessed more men treating women badly here. I'm talking about my friends' husbands and how they treat them.
There's a famous quote they have from the UAE. The saying goes, "Arrive in Dubai a woman. Leave there a princess." Did I leave there a princess? Yes, I did. Due to the fact that I have made it this far without the help of a man, I feel more like a queen now.
It was an amazing experience living there. The people I met came from all over the world and then some. A lot of people I know would never be able to do what I did. The most important thing for me is that I have learned a lot about life. Respect came before love for me. Love cannot exist without respect. Those are the things that happen behind closed doors in the Middle East, my friends. At least that was my experience. You've probably heard many scary stories. My world, however, was spared by it. After all, life isn't a textbook, but my experience in the Middle East taught me to respect the people around me and to live in a fear-free environment.
My Final Whisper: But my world did not escape the endless supply of falafel and hummus! And let's not forget shawarma! I guess Middle Eastern life is delicious!

No comments:

Because life is beautiful.

Labels

Random LOVE UAE Mubarak UAE-TEXAS best friends happiness life texas Abu dhabi Amber - Birthday America Arabic language Arabs BIRTHDAY - Random BLOGGING Belief in Islam Bukoor and OUD CUPCAKES Candy - Mac and Cheese - Best Friends - Kool-Aid - Diamond rings Different languages Friends - Honestly - Islam Friendship - Family - Love~ juan Friendship - Love - BBQ'ing Germany Getting a maid... God - Faith - I miss you ISLAM - Muslim women's rights- Respect - Education - Money ISLAM - QURAN - sister - Islam - God - Islam - Seas - Embryonic Development Italy - friends - JESUS Jannah - Heaven - Paradise Jesus - God - Quran - Islam - Muslims Jummah LOVE - DUBAI - DAD - Jesus - ISLAM - Husband - Kids - Ramadan - PINK - Mother in law - snow LOVE ?Allah - god - ALLAH - ALLAH - Allah - love - LoVE - lOvE and LOVE Liars Love - life - charity MAKE-UP Mabarak Mabruk Eshnuk and Malik Maids Marriage - Weddings - Love - Happiness Mi amor Missing my son New York Oud - salwa - Kalemat PHOTOMANIA.... PMS - shoes - polish - waxing - Perfumes - Oils Philosophy Prayers Quote Quran Quran - God - Jesus Random... Roaches Shahda... Stay Trish Mcvoy - Mac - Aveda - Estee Lauder United Arab Emirates Vacation World Affairs amber amber's 17th birthday. azooz baba and azooz-good-bye blueberry muffins bread rolls- Chai breakfast cancer death - Sheikh Ahmed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan eid favorites feeling Nostalgic flowers - love - hope - wind good-bye home inspiration kids- random libya m missing family missing grandparents. mom - love mosha mothers and friendship movies - weddings - tantrums - hot white chocolate - Caribou mr jim glass my Mother my dad my daughter nonna old friends patience quotes rain random pics rawan secrets shahadah shopping - IKEA - sisters - love three years old